- Emily C. Atwood, MDa,
- Grace Sollenderb,
- Erica Hsuc,
- Christine Arsnow, MDb,
- Victoria Flanagan, RN, MSb,d,
- Joanna Celenza, MA, MBAd,
- Bonny Whalen, MDb,d and
- Alison V. Holmes, MD, MPHb,d
- aDepartment of Pediatrics, Children's National Medical Center, Washington, District of Columbia;
- bDepartment of Pediatrics, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, New Hampshire;
- cDartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire; and
- dDepartment of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Address correspondence to Emily C. Atwood, MD, Children's National Medical Center, Graduate Medical Education Office, 111 Michigan Ave NW, Washington, DC 20010. E-mail:
Dr Atwood analyzed interview transcripts, led the research team consensus meeting, and drafted and revised the manuscript; Ms Sollender was involved in the initial planning phase of the project, conducted qualitative interviews with families, transcribed interviews, and contributed to drafting the manuscript; Ms Hsu assisted in developing the interview guide, conducted qualitative interviews with families, transcribed interviews, participated in the team consensus code meeting, and edited the manuscript; Dr Arsnow assisted with transcription and coding of interviews, participated in the team consensus code meeting, and helped edit the final manuscript as submitted; Ms Flanagan assisted in developing interview questions, conducted qualitative interviews, and edited the manuscript; Ms Celenza participated in developing interview questions and served as a family liaison in eliciting parental responses related to their care experience; Dr Whalen co-led development and revisions of the family interview guide, oversaw patient recruitment and student qualitative interviews, and revised the final manuscript; and Dr Holmes led the overall quality improvement project for the hospital, co-led the interdisciplinary team that developed the interview guide, oversaw the research design, performed the primary round of coding on all of the interview transcripts, participated in the team consensus code meeting, and edited and revised the final manuscript as submitted; all authors approved the final manuscript as submitted.
This work was presented in part at the Vermont Oxford Network Annual Quality Congress; October 2014; Chicago, IL, the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting; April 2015; San Diego, CA, and at the Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference; July 2015; San Antonio, TX.